Lemon rice is a very popular rice preparation which is very easy to make and you can make it when in jiffy. You can make this rice within minutes if you have already cooked rice with you. Its very simple in flavor yet delicious and is a meal in its own .Usually its a favourite lunchbox and tiffin options in southern parts of India. It can also be prepared with leftover rice.
Cooked Rice 2Cups
Lemon juice 2-3Tbs (Adjust to your taste)
Cooking Oil 2Tbs
Asafoetida A pinch
Curry leaves 10-15 leaves
Mustard Seeds 1Tsp
Dry Red chili 2-3
Green chilli 3-4 Slit lengthwise
Split Urad dal 1Tsp
Chana dal 1Tbs
Turmeric Powder 1Tsp
- Boil the rice till it is tender, strain water and keep aside to cool.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard, allow it to splutter.
- Then add split urad dal, chana dal, peanuts and dry red chilies. Sauté for 1-2 minutes until golden brown.
- Add Split green chilies, curry leaves, asafoetida and turmeric Powder and salt. Stir fry for 1 minute and then add the lemon juice.
- Add rice and mix well and switch off the stove.
- Serve with raita ,appalams or have it as is.
You can add grated or julienned ginger to make lemon rice more flavourful.
Some people also add onions .