Phirni is a rice pudding made with rice and milk very popular in northern parts of India.In general this creamy dessert is made with ground rice combined with milk, cream, sugar and saffron strands are used for flavouring.Usually nuts ,cardamom and saffron are used for flavouring but as all of you know of my mango fever.....I made it with mango puree.
Phirni is usually served chilled and in an small earthen bowls.I had made phirni before but the traditional way ,but got a chance to taste mango phirni in a very popular Bangalore restaurant where they served it in kulhads(earthen bowls) .It tasted amazing and me and my husband got hooked on with the flavours .specially my husband liked it a lot.
So continuing with the madness and love for mangoes,thought of surprising dear hubby with mango phirni.It came out very well and was well appreciated (Happy) .....
Full cream milk 1Litre
Rice 1/4 Cup
Ghee 1 Tbs
Sugar 1/2 to 3/4 Cup (depending on how sweet you want)
Mango puree/pulp 1.5 Cup
Saffron A pinch
Rose water 1Tsp
Cardamom powder 1Tsp
Assorted slivered nuts for garnishing
- Wash and soak the rice for 1-2 hours in a bowl.
- Grind the soaked rice with little water to make a paste.
- In a heavy bottomed pan,boil milk .
- Add the ground rice to the milk and keep stirring continuously so as to avoid the formation of lumps.
- Add mango pulp ,sugar and saffron and cook it in low flame till the rice is cooked ,stirring in between to avoid lump forming and sticking to the bottom.
- Add ghee ,cardamom powder and rose water, stir and cook for another minute.
- Take off the stove and transfer phirni to individual serving bowls or earthen bowls.
- Garnish with slivered nuts
- Chill it in refrigerator for few hours.
- Serve chilled.